Sunday 11 April 2021

Sutton to Silsden via the canal and back via path, farm and lane.

 


I will be experimenting with layouts and backgrounds over the next few walks but for now I will keep it simple. 

I saw a post by a local man on our village FB group which had some lovely pictures of Bracken Hill Gill near Silsden so yesterday I decided to go and find it. I failed on that but had a grand walk of about 8 miles with some stunning views and lots of wildlife. Recognised a chaffinch call (seeing as I am rubbish at recognising birds I was quite pleased at that 😀) and heard what I have found out since was a goldfinch. Lots of lambs in fields but they were so cute I didn't want to record them in case I ate one later 😈

Old split screen  Morris Minor at Kildwick


 



Barnacle goose and a very photogenic swan. Both came swimming up expecting a feed but left very disappointed 😄

Closest I have ever been to a Heron. Let me get very close. I don't think it got the fish 😟



This swing bridge is now disused. Didn't seem to do anything now but I guess it must have at one time.

Nice collection of boats


I saw Rosie, but no Jim

Good name for a cafe

If you can't make it out the date on the gate for this farmhouse is 1674.

 A bit old...

Some of them lambs I told you about.

I'll not eat these ones. Honest! 

Couple of views across Airedale from the opposite side of the valley to my usual stomping ground. The first one shows the whole Sutton, Crosshills and Glusburn conurbation



I have seen signs about "smart water" before and wondered what it was...

Now I know!

Last couple of old things. A JCB and the Old Priory. The priory is a listed building

There are a couple of plaques on the buildings attached to the right about them being refurbished and converted in the 1800s but I couldn't see any dates of the original buildings.

I would love any constructive advice on layouts or anything else that may help this blog flow more smoothly. Of couse I expect my friends to mercilessly take the Mickey 😄

5 comments:

  1. Nice read and great photos. Not so easy to read on a mobile as words are broken up when down the side of a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rai. Much appreciated. I would not have thought of that as it is ok on my tablet. I may stick to text above, below or as a caption. Or ask folk to turn their phones sideways :-D

      Delete
  2. Nice read and great photos. Not so easy to read on a mobile as words are broken up when down the side of a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you someone I know btw? I don't recognise the handle.

      Delete

From home to Connonley and back via the canal and Kildwick

Bit of a shorter wander of about 5 miles. Saw a bit of Connonley I have never seen before though - Shady Lane. It crosses the railway and th...